Seems to work for me:

user=> (make-user-nice-name { :username "bazookajoe"})
"bazookajoe"
user=> (make-user-nice-name {:first_name "Joe" :username "bazookajoe"})
"bazookajoe"
user=> (make-user-nice-name {:first_name "Joe" :last_name "Blow" :username
"bazookajoe"})
"Joe Blow"
user=> (make-user-nice-name {:first_name "Joe" :last_name "Blow"})
"Joe Blow"

# This is the only suspicious behavior, but it's doing what you asked it to
user=> (make-user-nice-name {:first_name "Joe"})
nil