I used IntelliJ for clojure dev for almost 3 years. About six months ago I
finally took the time to learn emacs, and I strongly regret not doing it
much earlier. There are too many reasons to list, but it all comes down to
a simple question for me: do you want the ability to easily automate tasks
that you often repeat?

IntelliJ is great at automating some things (e.g. Import namespace), but if
you want to extend its functionality it's a significant task. Conversely, I
now open my projects with a keystroke, start my app with a keystroke and
have the ability to eval any snippet of clojure in the context of my app. I
also automated running tests, creating tests that do not exist, and
navigating to tests. Finally, paredit - which I could neither adequately
praise or explain in one sentence. For me, that equals a level of
productivity that is orders of magnitude better than what I had in
IntelliJ.

But, if you simply want the best pre packaged solution, I wouldn't
recommend emacs.

If you want to get started with emacs, give emacs live a look. It's a great
starting point.

Sent from my iPhone