I would use (map :keyword) myself, for that exact reason(because I'm into
fail-fast), but only when I know the map is expected to never be nil at
this point(but likely I'll do the program in such a way that this point
won't be reached with a nil map in the first place), so that if it happens
that the map is nil it will throw exception at this point and it will stop
the bug propagating further, but if I were to use (:keyword map) it may err
later or never. Sure I could use other ways to test for nil, but just in
case I forget to do so, (map :keyword) would save me where (:keyword map)
would just continue. I note that it's idiomatic clojure to use the latter
variant (ie. non-fail-fast).

- says the guy(me) that hasn't done any program(in clojure anyway)

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 3:09 AM, James Xu <xumingming64398...@gmail.com>wrote:

> (:Keyword map) is preferred, because keyword itself can never be nil,
> while it's possible for map, you might be interested to have a look at:
> https://github.com/bbatsov/clojure-style-guide
>
> From: Jonathon McKitrick <jmckitr...@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 18:00:01 -0800 (PST)
> To: <clojure@googlegroups.com>
> Subject: Best practice - (:keyword map) versus (map :keyword)
>
> Either one works, is there any kind of guideline on which to prefer, when?
>  Or is it entirely personal preference?  It seems each way could be more
> readable in different circumstances....

Please correct me if I'm wrong or incomplete,
even if you think I'll subconsciously hate it.