Chas Emerick <c...@cemerick.com> writes:

> Keeping the discussion here would make sense, esp. in light of
> meetup.com's horrible "discussion board".

Excellent.  Solves the problem of deciding the etiquette of jumping on
the meetup board for a meetup one has never been involved in.  :-)

> The nature of the `burn` program is such that I'm skeptical of the
> ability of any garbage-collected runtime (lispy or not) to scale its
> operation across multiple threads.

Bringing you up to speed on this very long thread, I don’t believe the
original `burn` benchmark is a GC issue, due to results cameron first
reported here:

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojure/48W2eff3caU/83uXZjLi3iAJ

I that narrowed to what I still believe to be the explanation here:

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojure/48W2eff3caU/jd8dpmzEtEYJ

And have more compact demonstration benchmark results here:

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojure/48W2eff3caU/tCCkjXxTUMEJ

I haven’t been able to produce those results in a minimal Java-only test
case, though.

Then Wm. Josiah posted a full-application benchmark, which appears to
have entirely different performance problems from the synthetic `burn`
benchmark.  I’d rejected GC as the cause for the slowdown there too, but
ATM can’t recall why or what I tested, so GC may definitely be a
candidate to re-examine:

    https://groups.google.com/d/msg/clojure/48W2eff3caU/K224Aqwkn5YJ

Quite looking forward to additional insight...

-Marshall