Thanks for the feedback Andy. I had a console-only emacs installed but I've
reinstalled and confirmed one with X works. I was expecting a console
editor to work as well as it does in ruby e.g. system("emacs -nw") but I'm
guessing there's a limitation for java. Calling X emacs works for my use
case but I'd be interested to hear if anyone solves opening a console
editor.