On Feb 5, 2013, at 12:15 AM, Rich Morin wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2013, at 19:49, deliminator wrote:
>> Long story short: want more people to love lisp?
>> Implement paredit for more editors.
>
> +1!

-1

Just another data point and YMMV, but I've long loved Lisp and long hated
paredit. I do agree, however, that editor features are key. For me, what makes
the difference is bracket/parentheses *matching* (showing what matches what,
but not typing for me) and good auto-reindentation. In my experience those
features make it so obvious what the code structure is that it's simple to keep
things balanced correctly. Paredit, however, goes too far by thinking it knows
more than I do about what I want to type when, and gets in the way when I want
to type my ideas in a weird order and/or cut/paste unbalanced things, which I
basically do continuously.

FWIW I also teach new programmers Lisp with some regularity, and I don't get
the sense that parentheses are ever a big issue (in the context of the editors
that I provide, which always have bracket matching and auto-reindentation --
yes, it' d be great for those to be more ubiquitous). On the other hand,
defeating students' existing typing/cutting/pasting habits, or making them deal
with emacs arcana: problems.

Again, YMMV!

 -Lee