It worked after I installed leinigen 2, then ran the same commands that I
listed in my previous post.  Ben, I'm not sure why the "deploy" command
gave the same error, but I appreciate your detailed response.  KK, if I
have more problems in the future, I'll be sure to try your recommendation.
 Thanks to Ben, KK and everyone else who responded.  I wouldn't have got it
to work otherwise.