That would exactly be my point, too: I want to write idiomatic Clojure and
have the underlying runtime make it perform; that's what I get with Java. I
don't want to twist the compiler's arm into producing the bytecode that I
can get from straightforward Java code.

Incidentally, it happens that the piece of code that I have mentioned is
also about heavy string matching.