On Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:27:11 PM UTC+1, Geo wrote:

> Man, this is exactly how I feel after all this tinkering! It was great for
> learning Clojure a bit more in depth, but in the end I am going to stick
> with the Java solution. Especially since it's so easy to mix Java and
> Clojure in the same project! I just specify :java-source-paths ["src/java"]
> in my project.clj and I just call that one method when I need it and the
> rest of the project is in Clojure. I think when performance if critical
> idiomatic Clojure is to just drop down to Java :)
>
> Christophe's second function actually achieves Java speed or very close
> (within 5-10%), but it's ugly and there's a bit more to my algorithm which
> would make it even uglier if I were to go that route.

There would be no point in me to argue with you whether Chrispohe's version
really is "ugly" or not for you, but I'd like to rephrase it as "hard on
the eye". Because I find this "performance oriented Clojure" vs Java fits
quiet well in the "easy" vs "simple" mindeset.[*]. Adding Java code in a
Clojure project is certainly easy if you happen to already know the
language, while no amount of prior experience in idiomatic Clojure will
help you in writing perfomance oriented Clojure as it can be a completely
new idiom. But I do believe that the resulting code (as a whole, not just
the small performance critical bit of code) is simpler with two idioms in
one language than with two languages.

FWIW, I, for one, am really glad that Clojure allows us to select precisely
which nice tools we want (have to) throw away (persistent data structures,
dynamic typing, synchronized) when the need arises. Reminds me of the
"don't pay for what you don't use" motto of C++ except done right (i.e. the
other way around, because you don't want to pay wrt simplicity rather than
performance, cf. "premature optimization…")

Cheers,

Bernard

[*] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI8tNMsozo0