Since I've seen a few recent posts about this experience, I figured I'd
share mine:

0a) Install cygwin. I don't understand how any programmer stuck using
windows can get by without it
1) Install the Oracle JDK
1a) Add javac to my PATH (I added a symbolic link to javac.exe inside
cygwin in a directory that was already in my
PATH: ~/bin)
2) Download the lein "install" script as text from the leiningen home page.
3) Copy it over to my cygwin directory
4) Search/replace to replace the HTML entities with the real thing. I think
this was a matter of & and >
5) It was already executable, so just run it (naming it lein.sh rather than
lein.bat was important). I got errors about
certificates and permissions. They mentioned instructions about setting up
an environment variable (something
about something like `export DOWNLOAD="curl --trusting %1"`...that wasn't
it, but it was along the same lines).
I believe that it's some weirdness in the account settings (I have other
issues along the same lines in totally
unrelated packages), but I suppose I could have just installed some
horrible virus. Oh, well.
6) Create a new project
7) Change project.clj to use clojure 1.5
8) `lein repl` inside cygwin didn't work correctly. CLASSPATH was all
windows-style, which confused cygwin. So
basic clojure.core pieces weren't found.
8a) I suspect I could have set up, say, powershell, to make this work. But
that's stupid, and I don't have time
to waste on it.
9) nrepl-jack-in inside emacs worked fine.
9a) I'm using an init.el from other systems that already have clojure set
up. But there isn't anything fancy or
special or customized about it. Just standard configuration stuff that I've
found on bare-minimal blog posts
10) Add a symlink to lein in ~/bin.

I guess that probably looks big and scary. Windows users are used to a
pretty GUI that they ignore and click
"Next" a lot. I dont have a lot of sympathy.

I haven't done anything meaningful here at all. But the bare-bones part of
the installation process Just Worked.

Thank you *so* much to all the people who have worked so hard to make this
as simple as it is!

Respectfully,
James