I would say using :require :as is in almost all cases better.
However, I think :use is preferred if almost everything done
in the current namespace depends on the used namespace.
Though, no more than one namespace should ever be imported
with :use in the same namespace.

In your case I think it's acceptable to :use the namespace with
protocols - but no more. Also, :use :only is to be avoided almost
as much as :use. I tend to use :use :only for common functions
that are not in core. clojure.java.io/resource being the most common
one.

Jonathan