The question should probably be asked: is there a benefit in a given
situation to having the let be outside the scope of the defn? I would argue
that most times it is not, and putting the let outside the function
clutters the code and makes it harder to see the functions defined in the
namespace. If you truly need a const value, then something like this is
better, IMO:

(def ^:private ^:const data {:a 1 :b 2})

(defn f1 [])
(defn f2 [])

I would say that most of the time, the "let at the top" version could be
refactored into a def with no change in semantics, while at the same time
gaining a bonus to readability.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM, Robert Pitts <rbxbx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've certainly seen this at least a few spots within the 4clojure codebase
> –
>

> https://github.com/4clojure/4clojure/blob/develop/src/foreclojure/utils.clj#L66-L70(quick
>  example, I believe there are more)
>

> On Friday, March 22, 2013 3:02:20 PM UTC-4, Jim foo.bar wrote:
>
>> def/defn et. al are top-level form definitions...very rarely (I'd say
>> never) you'd have a def/defn inside a 'let' or inside anything for that
>> matter...The 1st one looks good :)
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> On 22/03/13 18:59, jamieorc wrote:
>> > Curious which style is preferred in Clojure and why:
>> >
>> > (defn f1 []
>> >   (let [x {:foo 1 :bar 2 :baz 3}]
>> >     (keys x)))
>> >
>> > (let [x {:foo 1 :bar 2 :baz 3}]
>> >   (defn f2 []
>> >     (keys x)))
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Jamie
>> > --
>> > --
>> > ---
>> > Groups "Clojure" group.
>> > an email to clojure+u...@**googlegroups.com.
>> > For more options, visit
>> > https://groups.google.com/**groups/opt_out<https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out>.
>>

>>  --

“One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that–lacking
zero–they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C
programs.”
(Robert Firth)