It's because the #() syntax always calls the content as a function.

So #(...) is the same as (fn [] (...)). In your case,
#({:foo_id foo-id (keyword a-keyword) (:BAR_KEY %)})
is the same as:
(fn [%] ({:foo_id foo-id (keyword a-keyword) (:BAR_KEY %)}))
Note the extra () around {}. In other words, your map is called
as a function.

Maps can normally be called as functions, like this:
({:hello :world} :hello)
=> :world
That's why you get the "Wrong number of args" error
(and not a "a map is not a function" error).
Hope that makes sense.

Btw, hyphen is normally used instead of underscore
in both variables and keywords. Just a slight style
"issue", but maybe you had your reasons. :)

Jonathan