On Friday, April 19, 2013 9:37:52 PM UTC-4, da...@axiom-developer.org wrote:

> TL:DR
>
>         Write ideas for humans around your code or it will die.
>         Explain, don't document.

Excellent post, Tim. Thanks for writing it all up.

Though, I tend to think that "documenting" is the same as "explaining"
(what good is documentation if it doesn't explain?).

> I mean that you need to write words that communicate IDEAS from
> human to human. Real sentences with real words that you would say
> to someone looking at the code.

If you don't communicate the idea embodied in a piece of code in
> words humans can understand, you are writing dead code for yourself.

Yes.

> If you want your code to LIVE, write WORDS for other HUMANS.  Lots of
> words. More words than code. Think of the difference between a math
> reference textbook and a regular math book. Words.

One minor point to add: It's easy to write too much. To meander. Concision
is hard.

> I strongly recommend literate programming but feel free to ignore that.
> Write words.

Hm. Maybe I should ask this off-list, but, in a nutshell, is literate
programming:

 1. put possibly-out-of-order specially-marked (with an id) code snippets
throughout your doc,
 2. also put an *ordered* listing of all the id's somewhere in your doc,
 3. use tools to find that ordered list of ids, then extract the snippets,
put them in order, and glue them all together so they can be compiled/run?

Thanks,
---John