Howdy,

I am using clojure.test and have some questions of how to write idiomatic
Clojure.  This really isn't about testing at all per-se.

First - I know about fixtures to get (at least) the same as JUnit's
before/after behaviour.

My code is a bloomy.  You can configure the bloomy and it does different
things based on that behaviour.  Pretty much every test has a different
bloomy, *and* that bloomy must be elegantly shut down.

How should I handle this?

At the moment I have the most un-idiomatic way and blunt way of :

[code]
(deftest my-test
  (let [bloomy (create-a-bloomy]
  (try
    (do-something-with-my-bloomy)
    (is (=....))
  (finally (shut-down bloomy))))
[/code]

Yep, try/finally in every test - reminds me of early JDBC libraries before
Spring :).  If I understand it correctly, I would end up writing a separate
fixture for each and every test, or at least each any every unique set of
test context.

I did consider writing a "(defn with-bloomy [bloomy test] (try (test)
(finally (shut-down bloomy))))" but I couldn't figure out how to pass my
bloomy into the test itself.  I also received lots of "assertion not in
expectation" type errors.  To be explicit I would use this as "(with-bloomy
(create-a-bloomy) (deftest...)))".

I did consider a variation on the above of passing in a function which only
contained the assertions, so "(deftest my-test (let [bloomy...]
(with-bloomy bloomy #(is (= 1 (get-something bloomy)))))" but I also ran
into similar "assertion not in expectation" type errors, and the
indentation in emacs was insane.

I expect a macro might be the answer?

So, how would you solve this?