Jim, that is in project.clj  right?
OP can use :refer and :exclude  but can't pass two namespaces to :refer,
just one

some examples from clojure code:
(ns foo.bar
    (:refer-clojure :exclude [ancestors printf])
    (:require (clojure.contrib sql combinatorics))
    (:use (my.lib this that))
    (:import (java.util Date Timer Random)
             (java.sql Connection Statement)))

or maybe you wanted this:
(ns clojure.test-clojure.data-structures
  (:use clojure.test
        [clojure.test.generative *:exclude* (is)])
  (:require [clojure.test-clojure.generators :as cgen]))