Jürgen Hötzel <juer...@hoetzel.info> writes:

> My Question was about the interning. AFAIK interning shoult only
> return a "new" Symbol, when the Symbol wasn't interned already.

We may already be on the same page.  I was just pointing out that there
aren’t any semantic benefits to that form of iterning for Symbols.  The
way keywords are interned guarantees that any Keywords which are `=` are
the same object and thus `identical?`.  Symbols with different metadata
being separate objects precludes that.  You could have `Symbol/intern`
maintain a (weak-reference) cache to the nil-metadata versions of
Symbols, but it would *just* a cache.  If you had profiling results
which showed that maintaining such a cache made compilation <x>% faster,
that might be interesting, but otherwise I’m not clear on what the
benefit would be.

-Marshall