As I told Phil on IRC, the problem turned out to be an old lein.bat...

To test the theory of the old lein.bat, I fired up two of my VMs:
* Windows XP running Leiningen 1.6.1.1(!)
* Windows 8 running Leiningen 2.0.0-preview10

On both of these, running lein upgrade produced a message that upgrade
was not supported and the .bat file should be edited to have the
desired version of Leiningen, then run lein self-install. Phil
confirmed in IRC that is NOT the correct process and the lein.bat
script should not be printing that message!

On both, I downloaded the latest lein.bat directly from
http://leiningen.org and replaced the current version.

On Windows XP, I opened a cmd window and navigated to the folder that
contains curl.exe (previously installed - I never added it to my path)
and ran lein self-install

On Windows 8, I opened a cmd window and ran lein self-install (wget
and curl are already on my path due to GOW - Gnu On Windows - being
installed)

In both cases, the Leiningen upgrade completed smoothly and I was
running Leiningen 2.3.2 afterward.

So the moral here is:

* don't edit lein.bat to change the version - instead download the
latest version from leiningen.org!

I'll be interested to see what lein upgrade does next time on Windows,
now that I'm running the latest .bat file. If it suggests editing the
file, I'll open an issue :)

Sean

--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN