I am following the book 'Clojure Programming' and have some questions on
setting up ring.

I have been using the latest versions of ring version 1.2.0. Also using
compojure, enlive but taken them out for this post.

The Clojure project is set up fine and imports libraries and gives no
problems in Eclipse.
I am using JDK 1.7 on Ubuntu 13.04.

(defproject startingclojure "0.1.0-SNAPSHOT"
  :description "FIXME: write description"
  :url "http://example.com/FIXME";
  :license {:name "Eclipse Public License"
            :url "http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl-v10.html"}
  :dependencies [[org.clojure/clojure "1.5.1"]
                 [ring "1.2.0"]])

Ring libraries are imported fine. I have compojure and enlive also as part
of project but not shown here.
No errors in Eclipse.

I have tried various approaches but my require is as you shown:
(ns startingclojure.app
  (:require [ring.adapter.jetty :as jetty]))

However my jetty just won't run:
(def server (jetty/run-jetty #'app {:port 8080 :join? true}))

Always gives this error:
CompilerException java.lang.RuntimeException: No such namespace: jetty,
compiling:(NO_SOURCE_PATH:1:13)