On 23 Oct 2013, at 17:43, Andy Fingerhut <andy.finger...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Paul, your function solve returns a set of solutions, but there is nothing on
> the program that seems to rely upon being able to quickly test whether a
> particular solution is in such a set.  Returning a sequence from solve is
> much faster, since it avoids the PersistentHashSet hash collision issue
> entirely.
>
> Just replace #{#{}} with [#{}], and remove the call to 'set' in solve.

The problem with that, Andy, is that it will result in a lot of duplicates. For
the 4x4 problem, for example, that approach raises the size of the returned
collection from 8 to 384.

My guess is that for the 6x9 problem it will just remove the set handling
problem and replace it with a memory/time issue as the search space grows (and
I only have 16G in my MacBook Pro :-)

I don't need to get this working - I only knocked it together as an interesting
exercise. And if it's helped to track down an issue in the Clojure runtime,
it's already achieved far more than I expected it to :-)

Thanks again,

--
paul.butcher->msgCount++

Snetterton, Castle Combe, Cadwell Park...
Who says I have a one track mind?

http://www.paulbutcher.com/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulbutcher
MSN: p...@paulbutcher.com