In this line:

    (if TRACE (do (println [:OFACTS (count ofacts)])
    (clojure.stacktrace/e)))

the StackOverflowError must be occurring in the evaluation of ofacts.
The error breaks out of the evaluation, preventing
(clojure.stacktrace/e) from being evaluated. The error sends you back to
the Clojure repl prompt, as you showed:

StackOverflowError   clojure.lang.RT.nth (RT.java:764)
rete.core=>

Here, at the "rete.core=>" prompt after the error, is where you want to
call (clojure.stacktrace/e).

- Bruce