IMO it can often be a lack of readable, searchable, nice-to-navigate
text/hypertext that can be a barrier to entry. In fact all of these are
unfortunately common in various parts of the geekosphere:

1. Projects whose *only* documentation (or the only version of certain key
information) is in videos. Not searchable. Not easy to navigate to a
particular part (need to remember roughly when it is, or rewatch half the
thing). Expensive for mobile users with capped or per-megabyte data plans.

2. Projects whose *only* documentation is reference-type material that does
not introduce the library/whatever to total n00bs. A common case is for
there to be beautifully detailed Javadoc for every public class, method,
and constant in some Java library, but nothing to give a n00b a clue as to
where to start using it. Sometimes it's fairly obvious (there's a problem
domain class Foo that it makes sense to instantiate first, and that class
has a public constructor, has a public static getInstance method, or sits
next to a FooFactory class in the same package, and this is
well-documented) but often it's not. Regardless, it would be preferable for
there to be a "getting started" guide. With a textual version that can be
searched with grep or other tools.

3. Projects whose *only* documentation is a getting-started guide, tour,
tutorial, or similar. When one knows the basic patterns of usage but wants
to recall the argument order for the (burbling-mumblefrotz ...) function,
having to find where it was introduced in a tutorial (which chapter? The
one on mumbling or the one on burbling? Near the start, middle, or end?
Page 2 or 29???) is a pain in the neck. A reference is organized
differently, for making a specific known entity easy to re-find. Javadocs
and Clojure docstrings are good for this.

In particular:

* Every key fact, example, or other piece of documentation should exist
somewhere in a form that Google can find on the web and grep can find in
your local copy if you make one. And that local copy shouldn't cost a
fortune to download and a ton-lot of disk space to keep, nor should it be a
pain in the ass to scroll forward and backward through. Ideally, it should
be browseable on a fairly low-spec machine if need be, as well, even one
that makes video playback stutter at 3 FPS.

* There needs to be two differently organized written forms of
documentation: one oriented around discovering how to do X, for people that
don't know the name of the function, class, method, or other entity that
does X; and one oriented around specifying precisely the usage, behavior,
and applicable preconditions/gotchas/etc. of a particular function, method,
class, or whatever that one *does* know the name to. The latter is
typically partly machine-generated and organized hierarchically and
alphabetically by package/namespace and name. The former tends to be mainly
human-authored and often linear, or at most a few branches, of exposition,
which shows how the parts are interrelated and how to build up from those
parts to useful working systems of some sort.

Videos do have their uses, but should not be regarded as *substitutes* for
either written reference documentation or written tutorial documentation,
and the latter are not substitutes for one another. I'd regard a lack of
good *written* introductory material as a much worse barrier to entry than
a lack of good videos, where the subject matter lends itself to textual
exposition (math, programming). (That last restriction of scope is
necessary; no amount of written material telling people how to play golf,
for instance, is likely to beat a good video showing a proper stance and
backswing. Gross motor skills in general benefit strongly from, at minimum,
video clips of key moves/actions. Most things benefit from the occasional
illustrative still image, however.)