Sam Ritchie <sritchi...@gmail.com> writes:

> Great stuff!

Thanks!

> Just as a note, Cascalog 2.0 has a lower-level DSL that lets you
> write Cascading in idiomatic clojure. Here are some test examples:
>
> https://github.com/nathanmarz/cascalog/blob/develop/cascalog-core/test/cascalog/cascading/operations_test.clj

Cool.  I did not know about that part of the API, which does look nifty.
I’m working on a blog post digging into this some, and I’m hoping to
snag one of the lightning talk spots at the Conj, but – I do think
there’s a big difference between writing job-flows which use a
`map`-like `map*` function and literally calling `map` in a literal
plain function[1].

Want a state-bearing sequence-mapping transformation?  With Parkour, you
can just grab bbloom’s `transduce` library[2] and it works just as well
in a remote task as it does in local code, because it does in fact do
literally the same thing in both scenarios.  You can get similar results
in Cascalog/Cascading, but need to first re-express the functionality in
terms of Cascalog/Cascading’s abstractions vs just leaning directly on
Clojure’s.

The algebraic execution planners backing Cascading- and FlumeJava-likes
allow powerful optimization of cross-task operations, but do require all
transformations to be expressed in terms of primitives the planners
understand.  Parkour loses the cross-task awareness, but allows
MapReduce tasks to do anything which can be expressed as operations on a
Clojure reducible collection.  This can include repeated partial
reductions (even map-side), full task-partition reductions, and
arbitrary numbers of disjoint task outputs.

It’s not a perfect example of what I’m talking about, but Parkour does
include an example implementation of the MapReduce algorithm for
transforming a graph into a sparse matrix of absolute-indexed cells:

https://github.atl.damballa/rnd/parkour/blob/master/examples/parkour/examples/matrixify.clj

I’ll see if I can distill out a more compelling example from some real
jobs prior to the Conj :-).

[1] It admittedly hurts this point a bit that Parkour exclusively uses
reducers instead of lazy sequences, but I’m hoping shortly to add the
necessary glue to allow tasks to work via seqs too when desired.

[2] https://github.com/brandonbloom/transduce

--
Marshall Bockrath-Vandegrift <llas...@damballa.com>
Principal Software Engineer, Damballa R&D