Is that intended as some sort of an insult aimed at me? I'm just pointing
out that "the web" != "everything that might conceivably be done with the
HTTP protocol". "The web" is that thing you browse with Firefox, more or
less by definition (even if sometimes tools like curl and wget are used as
shortcuts when downloading files or scraping data off some site, and
testing tools used to find dead links, and the like -- the web is that
HTTP-served stuff whose *primary* interface is intended to be a web
browser). So, for example, although the Gnutella file-sharing software uses
HTTP under the hood for file transfers, it's not "the web".