It seems to me that as a music synthesis and composition system,
overtone would be heavyweight for a "normal" app, that is one where the
user doesn't compose music.

For most circumstances, I think, it would make more sense to use
overtone to make the music, record it, and then bundle the wav.

FWIW, I found the installation documentation okay; overtone loads,
readies itself and makes music (well, sounds anyway, but the difference
is my fault I think), reasonably easily. There is rather a big gap
between the "getting started" documentation and the rest.

Phil

Mark Engelberg <mark.engelb...@gmail.com> writes:
> A second point of confusion is that I can't determine from the docs what's
> involved with creating a deliverable executable app that uses overtone, as
> opposed to just installing it for oneself to play around with at the REPL.
> Do users of the app have to install supercollider separately?  What about
> instruments like the sampled piano?  Does the user have to wait several
> minutes for those samples to be downloaded the first time she runs the app,
> or is there a way to bundle all that with the app?  Is there any way to get
> rid of the long pause when starting the server?  Is overtone too
> "heavyweight" to use it embedded in an app to produce tones and/or music,
> and if so, is there a better way in Clojure?
>

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Samuel Aaron <samaa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Cedric,
>>
>> if you're interested in installing Overtone and understanding its
>> dependencies, I highly recommend you take a look at the installation
>> instructions on our Wiki:
>>
>> https://github.com/overtone/overtone/wiki/Installing-overtone
>>
>> If anything isn't clear or obvious - please do let me know.
>>
>> Happy Hacking!
>>
>> Sam
>>
>> ---
>> http://sam.aaron.name
>>
>> On 27 Nov 2013, at 16:33, Cedric Greevey <cgree...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Ah, good. In the past I've been curious, but what little documentation I
>> found seemed to imply* that there were a number of dependencies that
>> sounded like external libraries or applications that were needed, and which
>> (being not Java/Clojure components themselves) would not be installed
>> automatically by Leiningen (and might not even be available for some
>> hardware/OS combinations). Is that not the case, or else no longer the
>> case, then?
>> >
>> > * Specifically, various software seemed to be named that I wasn't
>> familiar with, but there was no explicit setup instructions or
>> ingredients-needed list either. The general state of the documentation gave
>> the impression of a pre-beta state without a well-organized setup procedure
>> existing yet. Most other Clojure projects and libraries announced, by
>> contrast, include such right in the announcement message -- and it's
>> usually just "add [some dependency vector] to your project.clj". If that's
>> the case also for Overtone now, why was that not included in the
>> announcement message? :)
>> >

>> > On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Samuel Aaron <samaa...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Cedric,

>> is that not until 1.0?
>> >
>> > For a Clojure developer, Overtone is already as 'turnkey' as it gets.
>> Simply add "overtone 0.9.1" to your dependencies in project.clj, start a
>> REPL with Leiningen and then (use 'overtone.live) - your powerful music
>> REPL awaits!
>> >
>> > Sam
>> >
>> > ---
> [...]

Phillip Lord,                           Phone: +44 (0) 191 222 7827
Lecturer in Bioinformatics,             Email: phillip.l...@newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing Science,
http://homepages.cs.ncl.ac.uk/phillip.lord
Room 914 Claremont Tower,               skype: russet_apples
Newcastle University,                   twitter: phillord
NE1 7RU