Thanks, yes, the version starting with 0.0 in the loop (rather than 0) does run
faster.  In my case, about 13% faster (19.7 seconds -- for the code you pasted
below, with *unchecked-math*, type hints and starting x of 0.0 -- vs 22.7
seconds for my original version).  But if you start with x of 0 (integer), the
type-hinted version runs notably slower.  In all cases, though, at least you
get the same final answer... (-;

So I don't see that 50% speedup you're seeing, but I do see improvement.  I'm
on Clojure 1.5.1, and Java 1.7.0_51 on OS X 10.8.5, running in an nREPL (cider)
in Emacs.  Possibly other JDK versions have more optimizations?

Thanks
Glen.