> As a co-author of the reactive manifesto I'd like to point out that
> "reactive" can be considered a superset of "async". Good reactive
> applications are event driven and non-blocking. They are also responsive,
> resilient, and scalable which async can help with but does not prescribe.
>
> What are the "bad connotations"? I'm curious to understand other
> perspectives on this.

I would say the opposite. Asynchronous or not >happening, moving, or
existing at the same
time<http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/synchronous><
does not necessarily imply non-blocking. It simply emphasizes that "things"
might coexist without an explicit dependency (in a time dimension) on each
other. At the same time (pun not intended)
reactive<http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/reactive>limits
itself to responding to events which implies a control by some sort
of FSM. Perhaps concurrency could be modeled using FSMs, but I do not
believe it is always a simple transition.

Andy