On 6 April 2014 21:50, Joshua Brulé <jtcbr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But it still seems to me that in the case *exactly three forms* - binary
> function and arguments - curly infix can be a solid improvement on
> readability.
>
> (map (fn [x] (cond (zero? {x mod 15}) "FizzBuzz"
>                    (zero? {x mod 5}) "Buzz"
>                    (zero? {x mod 3}) "Fizz"
>      :else x))
>      (range 1 101))

To me this is harder to read than:

  (zero? (mod x 5))

Because it's an additional piece of syntax. If you're used to prefix
notation, mixing in infix notation will throw you, at least in my
experience.

Though if I was going to write the above, I'd probably write:

  (divides-exactly? x 5)

Which makes the intention even clearer.

I think my main problem with this proposed syntax is that it doesn't
represent a data structure. The rest of Clojure's syntax defines data
structures, while this syntax proposal only makes sense while defining code.

Put it another way: would you have this syntax in edn? And if not, then
you've introduced a major incompatibility between the readers.

- James