On Thursday, 17 April 2014 03:57:56 UTC+8, Mike Haney wrote:

> Lots of people use it, including me.   I don't think it's a bad choice for
> beginners at all.
>
> The conventional wisdom seems to be that you will end up learning emacs
> eventually if you spend any amount of time doing clojure or lisp, so you
> might as well learn it from the start.  That is definitely the approach
> taken in the braveclojure book, and he may be right, but I have no regrets
> starting with lighttable.

As a counter-example to the "conventional wisdom", I have never really used
Emacs and I've being doing Clojure successfully for around 4 years now. I'm
sure Emacs is great for those who have taken the time to master it, but it
certainly isn't necessary to be productive in Clojure.

I personally use Counterclockwise - this is mainly because I also do a lot
of Java work in Eclipse and it makes the polyglot integration much easier
if you aren't switching tools all the time.

I'm also quite excited about the potential of things like Session or
Gorilla-REPL for exploratory / data science work. I like the way that the
Clojure ecosystem is developing a lot of innovative, plug-able components
and tools that enable different development styles.