On Apr 22, 2014, at 10:01 AM, Jony Hudson <jonyepsi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I recall reading that `lein run` uses JVM options optimised for startup time,
> not performance - as it's intended for use in development, not production. I
> can't seem to find where I read that though ...

Somebody with actual knowledge of what's under the hood will undoubtedly be
able to say more (and maybe correct me :-), but I've been led to believe that
if you want things to run fast (at the expense of possibly longer startup time)
with "lein run" then you actually want to use "lein with-profile production
run".

FWIW (not much) I'd prefer that that be the default, or that there be a
somewhat more obvious/memorable syntax ("lein fast run"?).

In our limited testing  "lein with-profile production run" did indeed make a
big difference, sometimes producing a ~2x speedup. This isn't as big as the
difference that Cecil's getting with the uberjar though... and if we could get
the ~5x speedup that he seems to be getting from uberjar then that would be
fantastic. I guess we ought to just try that, but I'd appreciate any insights
that knowledgable people here could provide on this.

 -Lee