I realize it's not exactly what you are looking for, but perhaps a
pmap-like implementation can easily be built using a distributed message
queue.

The tricky part would be to ensure the functions to be distributed can be
safely serialized/deserialized. (Not doing I/O or using other shared
resources, etc...)

On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 4:29 PM, David James <davidcja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are the ways to do remote function calls with Clojure? Here is a
> *low-level
> list* I have so far:
> * Java Remote Method Invocation API:
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/guides/rmi/index.html
> * nREPL: https://github.com/clojure/tools.nrepl
>
> There are *higher-level tools*, too, such as:
> * Slacker https://github.com/sunng87/slacker
>
> What else should I add to the lists?
>
> Here is my goal. I'm exploring various ways to do distributed computation.
> Many distributed computation platforms (e.g. Storm, Hadoop) require (1)
> significant dev-ops setup (2) deployment via a JAR file (3) quite a bit of
> time lag to get things started. I was hoping to find lighter-weight, more
> responsive, ways to do distributed computation. I also consider this a
> learning exercise.
>
> I like PigPen's use of a custom `pmap` function to distributes work:
> https://github.com/Netflix/PigPen (But it requires Pig and Hadoop)
>
> It could be nifty to have a `pmap` that worked, say, over a set of
> machines connected via nREPL. Has this already been done?
>
> Thanks!
>

>  --

Kind Regards,
Atamert Ölçgen