Either :use with [seesaw.chooser :only [choose-file]] like

(ns ...
    (:gen-class)
    (:use [seesaw.chooser :only [choose-file]])

or the beefed up refer functionality:

http://clojuredocs.org/clojure_core/clojure.core/refer

which can have :only, :exclude and :rename to avoid collisions, which is
more powerful.

More info here:
http://clojure.org/libs

and yes, the seemingly random wrapping of things in lists/vectors that
sometimes should be quoted and sometimes not is confusing and has been up
to discussion several times.

in practice it works quite well, though.

/Linus