It says Criterium ran four batches of 60 samples in each (it tries to make
the jvm då garbage collection etc between each such batch).

In total, 240 samples (ie timed test runs).

The statistics are better looked up at wikipedia, but "lower quartile" here
means the 2.5% of the 240 samples (0.025 * 240 = 6) that had the lowest
time where 229.8 ms etc. Outliers are intresting, since there can be some
that takes much much longer time than other.

Overhead (in this case negible small) is the time criterium takes in the
samples, I think.

Your results looks consistent, the one minute delay you saw initially COULD
have been delayed by a full Garbage Collection. These can be triggered at
random in production, so try to collect metrics (there's both clojure and
java libs for that, named something "metrics") in production or with
realistic loads! And remember you can tweak the GC in many ways to make it
less rude to your application.

/Linus