Hi,

On Friday, July 11, 2014 11:10:53 AM UTC+2, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> <javascript:>>:
>
>> IMO, ! is used when change any global state. A side effect like print on
>> screen is not enough to cause a ! in the name. I think that's why the
>> functions print/println don't have ! =)
>>

> ​Than I did it in the 'right' way. In the book the where talking about
> side-effects, but only a change in global​
>
> ​ state is more reasonable.​

IMHO,  there is a slight difference between "chaning global state" and "can
not be used in STM".  The STM machinery might call your function several
times.  If the changes to make to some global state do not matter if being
called several times, don't use the bang.  One trivial example would be
counting the collisions in STM which can be a global state change inc'ing
an atom.  Logging the same action several times could also be desired in an
STM scenario.

All this is of course only relevant if you stick to the "official"
guideline I cited earlier.

Best,
stefan