(Rich Hickey is the only one who could answer finally but...)

I think this information is old and outdated, streams didn't really make it
into clojure.

The things that survived was the *sequence* abstraction (which is used
almost everywhere), later the *reducers* (facilitating javas fork-join
constructs nicely interleaved with the clojure b-tree-like data structures)
and last but not least the *transducers* concept, where transducers
actually are very similar to the outlines of the streams abstraction in the
link you mentioned with their "continously spinning" transform functions.

http://blog.cognitect.com/blog/2014/8/6/transducers-are-coming

Core.async is somewhat similar, but has other use cases in mind (sane
wrapping of an event stream of various side-effects).

/Linus