java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap has a putIfAbsent method that
could be used with delays to support this use case with a no
recomputation guarantee:

(def chm (java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.))

;; this will work as expected whether chm has a value for :foo or not
(let [d (delay (+ 1 2))]
  ;; NB. the two @d expressions refer to different ds
  (if-let [d (.putIfAbsent chm :foo d)] @d @d))
;= 3

;; this will remove all entries
(.clear chm)

No point switching away from Atoms if occasional recomputation is ok
and they perform well enough, of course (and whether this would be an
improvement performance-wise in any given scenario would need to be
determined by benchmarking).

On 2 September 2014 00:54, Marcus Magnusson <marx...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> if the underlying function is fast, but in our case it would be neat with an
>> alternative. I got the idea of writing a channel-based version of memoize,
>> which will ensure that invoking the memoized function simultaneously with
>> the same arguments will only call the underlying function once. Below is a
>> quick implementation with one obvious drawback (and probably tons of bugs
>> and points of improvement!), namely that if the underlying function is
>> costly, and we invoke the memoized function with a bunch of different
>> non-cached set of arguments, then calculating the values will be done
>> one-by-one. This could be fixed for example by having handle-ch delegate to
>> another channel, where we have one channel per set of arguments - I'll leave
>> that for someone else, or for when I've had some sleep and realized what a
>> bad idea it was...  :) Note that I haven't worked much with core.async, and
>> that there is probably a much more straightforward solution (for example the
>> one given by Thomas Heller), so please let me know of any issues with this:
>>

>> (defn synced-memoize [f]
>>   (let [mem (atom {})
>>         handle-ch (chan)]
>>     (go-loop []
>>       (let [[args ret-ch] (<! handle-ch)]
>>         (>! ret-ch (if-let [e (find @mem args)]
>>                      (val e)
>>                      (let [ret (apply f args)]
>>                        (swap! mem assoc args ret)
>>                        ret)))
>>         (recur)))
>>     (fn [& args]
>>       (if-let [e (find @mem args)]
>>         (val e)
>>         (let [ret (chan)]
>>           (>!! handle-ch [args ret])
>>           (<!! ret))))))
>>
>> (def lookup
>>   (let [calc-value* (synced-memoize calc-value)]
>>     (fn [cache key]
>>       (if (contains? @cache key)
>>         (@cache key)
>>         (swap! cache assoc key (calc-value* key))))))
>>

>> Den måndagen den 1:e september 2014 kl. 22:35:56 UTC+2 skrev Marcus
>> Magnusson:
>>>
>>> I reckon if that worked, there would be no need for memoize anyway, but I
>>> don't think swap! will allow for it. I'm far from an expert on swap! or
>>> atoms, but several swap!s may be run simultaneously on a single atom (and
>>> swap! may re-run the swapping function if the atom has been changed since
>>> the swapping function was invoked). In other words, if two swap!s are
>>> invoked at about the same time for the same key (which is not currently in
>>> the cache), both invocations may be given the same value of the cache at
>>> that moment, which will lead to the value being re-calculated in both
>>> invocations - and even if calc-value is memoized, the same thing may occur
>>> in the memoized function.
>>>
>>> As I said, I'm far from an expert, so I wrote a small test that shows
>>> that calc-value may indeed be called more than once (core.async here is
>>> simply to ensure that each invocation of calc-value is printed on its own

>>> 12
>>> 16
>>> 1
>>> nil