There is also a jar of v8
(https://github.com/circleci/clj-v8 https://clojars.org/clj-v8) which can
run js scripts in a v8 subprocess. With some plumbing code in Clojure you
could run your tests in v8 as a jar, but again you won't be able to test
anything that requires a browser stack.

If you need a browser stack phantomjs is probably the best choice (fastest,
most mature, largest community, etc). However there are some other options:
https://gist.github.com/evandrix/3694955 Some are java-based (e.g.
HtmlUnit) and are likely to have maven packages. However you are going off
the beaten path and depending on what you are testing you may not be
adequately testing in "real-world browser" conditions.