I've had issues with JVM GUIs and tiling window managers, sometimes
floating and then tiling the window (or even hiding/ showing the window, or
resizing) will make the contents show up. I don't know if there is an
application level fix for this, and I'm not sure whether it should be
considered a WM bug (not propagating the resize / expose events the apps
expect) or a bug in the lib.