You can definitely start using Emacs without having to learn Emacs Lisp.
Unless you're planning to write some custom extensions or customize your
setup wildly you can go a very long way with just cursory knowledge of
Emacs Lisp. At any rate - knowing any Lisp dialect makes it relatively easy
to pick up other dialects. I had learned Common Lisp back in the day and
this made it pretty easy for me to pick up Emacs Lisp when I had to dive
deeper into it.

I'm kind of biased, but I believe that the Emacs tooling for Clojure is
pretty nice. :-) If you're in to IDEs, however, guess you should check out
Cursive or CCC instead.