Thanks, James.

To clarify, Compojure has no problems serving the JSON content.  But the
SBCL common lisp app and a third-party app (Klipfolio) both are choking on
the output.  I was able to fix the SBCL app by telling Babel to use latin-1
encoding, but I need another solution for the output to Klipfolio.  It's
probably a knowledge gap on my part of correct use of encodings, and I just
haven't found the 'correct' solution yet.