On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:52 PM, Luc Préfontaine <
lprefonta...@softaddicts.ca> wrote:

> BG is right on it. I hit this problem a decade ago (roughly :)).
> UTF-8 files with no BOM are not handled properly on windows.
> It assumes that they are ASCII coded. That works partially (both character
> sets have the same
> encoding for many characters) but eventually fails.
>

> Make sure that the files have a BOM. You can do this on a per file basis
> using an IDE
> (Eclipse, ...) or if you can use bash scripts to do this if you have
> access to a u*x environment.
> I did not find an equivalent native windows tool but they might be some to
> do this in batch.
>
> Luc P.

Clojure source files are expected to be in UTF-8 and Clojure on Windows
doesn't require a BOM.

In fact, Clojure files must not contain a BOM because it isn't considered
to be whitespace by the clojure parser and will cause the error "Unable to
resolve symbol: ? in this context".

Some software, such as Windows notepad uses the presence of a BOM to detect
UTF-8, but that can be overridden in the File | Open dialog.  Other than
that, the behaviour of the BOM on Clojure between Linux and Windows should
be the same - this stuff is all handled by Java code in the JDK - not by
the Windows platform.