On Monday, August 3, 2015 at 10:26:34 AM UTC-4, kirby urner wrote:

> (A) when a student hacks on a Python or Java project and want's mentor
> feedback, it's *not* a matter of the mentor remoting in to the student
> instance or accessing the students V: drive.  Rather, we have software
> infrastructure by the talented Michael Long that zips up the entire Eclipse
> project and sends it to the mentor's computer, where it unzips.  The mentor
> can run the code, find bugs, make changes, without touching the student's
> original.  The mentor can send the whole project back, though usually
> quotes and comments are sufficient.

Oh, dear God. You *do* know what used to happen to any unix box where
"Help! I'm a newb, please help me, why won't my script work" was reliably
synonymous with "sudo root" except for not needing the root password, right?
Better that it be the virtual box in the cloud than the mentor's computer
if that should ever happen.

PS:  another thing ALE does not do in my world is give mentors a way to
> assign letter grades or compute grading curves or whatever.

On the other hand, if a mentor grades on a curve, he deserves anything that
happens to his computer from running students' code there. :)