I don't quite understand why you are not calling the Protocol method as a
function, i.e.

(new-node this t-2 lev l r c)

(no leading dot on new-node).

I also don't see anything which actually *implements* INode.

Note that the meaning of "method" in "Protocol method" is not the same as
in "Java method": i.e. these are not Java methods called via Java interop,
although protocol implementations may create java methods on the class that
implements them in some cases (i.e. inline implementations using deftype or
defrecord) or a Java class may implement the protocol via the
auto-generated interface of the same name. You are trying to call the
"new_node" Java method directly on whatever "this" is in that context,
which requires reflection on "this" to find the implementation.