To hopefully help address another aspect of your question:

This local repo is *not* inside ~/.m2

It is a directory that can be part of your project, and checked into git
along with it. You just tell Leiningen where to find it using something
like this:

    :repositories {"project" "file:repo"}

And then Leiningen will look for artifacts in the directory "repo" at the
project root.

So, you do not have to put things into your actual local Maven repository.
But you *do* have to put artifacts into a properly structured Maven
repository (even if it is entirely fictitious, using made up artifact names
and versions), to use them with Leiningen.

I do this in my project afterglow-max, for example, to build against an API
that is provided by its vendor as a jar file but not as a Maven artifact.
You can find the full project here, if it helps:

    https://github.com/brunchboy/afterglow-max#afterglow-max

I hope this helps!
  -James