I'm looking at duct (
https://github.com/weavejester/duct/blob/master/lein-template/resources/leiningen/new/duct/base/project.clj#L63)
and I'm pretty sure I understand what is going on there, but I haven't been
able to find any documentation on what is all possible with this key.

My guess is that :project will modify the project based on the profile
selected. so :project/dev is about changing the project when the profile
:dev is active and then in this case we are setting the environment
variable of PORT to 3000. Looking at
https://github.com/weavejester/environ/blob/master/lein-environ/src/lein_environ/plugin.clj#L10
it seems the :env key is a part of lein-environ rather than a part of lein
itself.

Is this a correct understanding?

-d