Thanks for all the suggestions. I got this working like this:

I used the Leinengen "localrepo" plugin to install the Amazon SDK like this:

lein localrepo install alexa-skills-kit-1.1.jar alexa-sdk 1.1

and this created a very basic pom.xml file here:

~/.m2/repository/alexa-sdk/alexa-sdk/1.1/alexa-sdk-1.1.pom

and this file only consisted of:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/POM/4.0.0";
http://maven.apache.org/xsd/maven-4.0.0.xsd";>
  <modelVersion>4.0.0</modelVersion>
  <groupId>alexa-sdk</groupId>
  <artifactId>alexa-sdk</artifactId>
  <version>1.1</version>
  <name>alexa-sdk</name>
</project>

So I opened this file up in emacs and I put the cursor between these 2
lines:

  <name>alexa-sdk</name>

</project>

and then I copy and pasted most of the content of this file:

https://github.com/amzn/alexa-skills-kit-java/blob/master/samples/pom.xml

I copied
<dependencies> <properties> <build>

and that got me passed the dependency errors.