Thanks, Andrew, and to be clear this is an obscure side environment of my
main project, and I am resigned to the fact that it seems doomed because
the developers of Max/MSP are choosing to respond to Appleā€™s deprecation of
their Java 1.6 environment by entirely abandoning support for working with
the Java VM. So I agree, Java 1.6 is very old now, and at some point the
burden of maintaining support for it starts slowing down other important
progress.

The main thrust of my Clojure development is in the latest release
candidate of Clojure on the latest Oracle JVM.