I can’t reproduce any of this on Clojure 1.9.0 Alpha 10 – it all works exactly
as expected.

On 8/9/16, 2:50 PM, "Fluid Dynamics" <clojure@googlegroups.com on behalf of
a2093...@trbvm.com> wrote:

=> (defn foo [x] (doto (double-array 1) (aset 0 x)))
=> [(foo 3.0) (type (foo 3.0))]
[[3.0] [D] ; As expected, a double array with the value passed in.
; Maybe a good idea to hint this function as always returning a double array.
=> (defn foo ^doubles [x] (doto (double-array 1) (aset 0 x)))
Reflection warning, NO_SOURCE_PATH:1:24 - call to aset can't be resolved.
=> [(foo 3.0) (type (foo 3.0))]
[[3.0] [D]
; Hmm, that reflection is not going to help performance any. (Why wasn't it
occurring before?) Maybe hint x as well?
=> (defn foo ^doubles [^double x] (doto (double-array 1) (aset 0 x)))
=> [(foo 3.0) (type (foo 3.0))]
AbstractMethodError Method user$foo.invokePrim(D)Ljava/lang/Object; is abstract
; What the f---?!
=> (defn foo [^double x] (doto (double-array 1) (aset 0 x)))
=> [(foo 3.0) (type (foo 3.0))]
[[3.0] [D]
; OK, now at least we have a primitive function taking a double, and not
generating a reflection warning, though it's expected to return generic
objects. Why don't we wrap it with a *second* function that knows it's really
returning a double array, and hope the JIT inlines it so we won't get doubled
function call overhead?
=> (defn bar [^double x] (foo x))
=> (bar 3.0)
[3.0]
; So far, so good. Now add the return type hint to bar:
=> (defn bar ^doubles [^double x] (foo x))
=> (bar 3.0)
AbstractMethodError Method user$bar.invokePrim(D)Ljava/lang/Object; is abstract
; WHAT?!?!?!?!?!
; IMPOSSIBLE
; How can changing bar's return type hint introduce the bug back into foo when
foo was working earlier and we didn't recompile foo?!?!?!?!?!
; WTF WTF WTF!!!
;
; OK so what if we hint foo as a primitive function that takes a double and
returns an object?
=> (defn bar ^doubles [^clojure.lang.IFn$DO f ^double x] (f x))
=> (bar foo 3.0)
AbstractMethodError Method
user$bar.invokePrim(Ljava/lang/Object;D)Ljava/lang/Object; is abstract
; Even more impossible! (foo 3.0) continues to work, so the function is intact
in memory, but passing it to bar magically breaks it?!
; OK, what if we explicitly invoke foo's correct method, which takes a double
and returns an object?
=> (defn bar ^doubles [^clojure.lang.IFn$DO f ^double x] (.invokePrim f x))
=> (bar foo 3.0)
AbstractMethodError Method
user$bar.invokePrim(Ljava/lang/Object;D)Ljava/lang/Object; is abstract
; Still not working!
; OK, let's hide it *another level deep*
=> (defn bar [^clojure.lang.IFn$DO f]
=>   (fn ^doubles [^double x]
=> ((bar foo) 3.0)
NoSuchMethodError clojure.lang.IFn$DO.invokePrim(D)[D user$bar$fn__9962.invoke
(NO_SOURCE_PATH:-1)
; Time to give up and file a bug report.