> On Aug 20, 2016, at 5:26 PM, s...@corfield.org wrote:
>
> I disagree (strongly) with your position here Brian. I’ll try to explain
> clearly why but first a little background…

I too have felt the pain of having to maintain backward compatibility. However,
I’m reminded, in this case, of Mark Twain’s “The cat, having sat upon a hot
stove lid, will not sit upon a hot stove lid again. But he won't sit upon a
cold stove lid, either.”

That’s why I tend to ask questions, not about abstract principles, but about
what - given these particular alternatives - happens to which people?

The problem with recourse to general principles and past experience is that
it’s easy to overlook that I’m suggesting a change from:

  ns-clause-header ::= keyword?

… to:

  ns-clause-header ::= keyword? || symbol?