I came up with this solution:

(ns spec-test.core
  (:require [clojure.spec :as s]))

(s/def :user/name string?)
(s/def :common/user (s/keys :req [:user/name]))

;; with this little helper function...
(defn check [type data]
  (if (s/valid? type data)
    true
    (throw (AssertionError. (s/explain type data)))))

;; I can use it in my :pre condition
(defn aname [user]
  {:pre [(check :common/user user)]}
  (-> user :user/name))

;; when I call name with an illegal arguement...
(aname {:x "Elon"})

;; ...it not fails and returns a better error message:
CompilerException java.lang.AssertionError: null,
compiling:(/Users/joakimtengstrand/IdeaProjects/spec-test/src/spec_test/core.clj:19:1)
val: {:x "Elon"} fails spec: :common/user predicate: (contains? % :user/name)

With this solution I don't need to enable assertions, and the code is neat
and less verbose!

/Joakim